Useful quick links and bookmarks.
This is full of sites you probably have seen before, but instead of having pages full of them (and putting them up in the main weblog) most external links are here as a one-size fits all page.
The links are maintained by blosxom. Just changed the code to trace for .ln files instead of .txt and using a special flavour which refers to a separate class in the sundot stylesheet (to make the font smaller).
Networking (email, dns, routing, adsl etc) resources.
certification sites and hints
generic search links (no link to google obviously).
- This site does not yet need a simple search facility. When we install one it seems like perlfect search might be able to do the job working together with blosxom (i.e. not just showing the raw .txt files but instead showing the blosxom'ised and css'ed view of the pages). We'll see.
Sun Microsystems quick links
- A useful document hidden on Sun's developer connection is Device Mapping on Sun Servers
- BigAdmin - one stop location for sysadmins.
- DotCom Builder - excellent articles on web architecture. Sun has decided to retire this excellent site from 20021223.
- Blueprints online
- Security - including instructions (pretty accurate) on how to build OpenSSH.
I have compiled OpenSSH using these instructions and a Solaris 8 package is now available for download. Please be aware that this package will install in /usr/local and that the /dev/random patch (112438) is needed for Solaris 8.
SunScreen Lite is now free.
Plenty around (watch the market consolidate over the next couple of years) - they all claim to be the fastest and most secure (even Microsoft does one!) ... I've only got experience with Checkpoint
FW-1 and Cisco IOS.
General sysadmin resources
CSS guides and references.
Freelance, consultancy and contractor links.
Some useful tools,guides and sites for web design and markup
Browser security and more.
links and sites not yet categorised.
blog and writing links (and a showcase for getting blosxom to use alternative file extensions).
Solaris quick hints and cookbooks.
Personal "firewalls" (Windoze)
- Tiny Personal Firewall - now costs money, but you can still get excellent free personal version 2 of this firewall with a Checkpoint-like management interface.
- ZoneAlarm - I tried the free version of ZoneAlarm when we first got ADSL installed. The connection would then hang for minutes every two hours or so - so I
switched to Tiny.
- Agnitum Outpost - recent PC Plus (UK) Editors Choice (the free version).
- Sygate Personal Firewall - another free test winner.
- For (lots of) more information check out the home PC Firewall guide.
Some useful veritas volume manager links
- unixway's veritas tips and documentation.
- the useful veritas cheat sheet at cuddletech. Some useful commands (found in /usr/lib/vxvm/bin) like vxdisksetup, vxrootmir, vxmirror, vxdg adddisk are nowhere to be found in the cheat sheet. I used to have a a cheat sheet (hardcopy) made by veritas themselves - but it's lost (sort of like the command summary at the back of the volume manager manuals but with more info).
- veritas support has lots of useful free information (including pdf manuals).